Air conditioners are designed to be quiet and barely audible. Are you hearing odd noises from your air conditioner when it is running?
Most likely, something is wrong with your unit. If you ignore the noises, you could be stuck dealing with significant and expensive problems as a result. Here is our guide to some of the most common air conditioner noises. Hopefully, this will help you identify what might be occurring with your air conditioner and what you need to do to fix it:
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling usually indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you are unsure where the noise is coming from, that is okay. Our trained and certified technicians can verify where this noise is occurring.
- Hissing – Hissing results from leaky refrigerant lines, a leaky internal valve, or a faulty compressor.
- Crackling – Crackling commonly results from by debris in the unit or by faulty or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor condenser unit will make noise outside your house. Old ductwork causes noise inside your house.
- Buzzing – Buzzing noises usually indicate an electrical problem or a loose electrical connection.
- Clicking – Clicking sounds indicate a loose mechanical part or a misaligned fan.
- Pulsating or Vibrating – Like clicking, pulsating or vibrating sounds can come from loose parts or misaligned fans.
- Loud Noises – Any noticeable noises from your external unit can indicate a problem with your compressor, fan, damper, or air handler.
- Humming – Noticeable humming noises can indicate fan motor issues or damaged relay switches.
You can get additional information about troubleshooting common air conditioning issues from the Department of Energy.
Do you have any of these problems? Give us a call today at (480) 531-8624 to get started!
Should I Keep Running my Air Conditioner When it Makes Strange Noises?
This question is difficult to answer without inspecting your system. You may be able to continue running your AC, but you do so at your own risk. To be safe, we recommend shutting your system off until one of our trained professionals can arrive and take a look. Call us today to get started!
When should I do something about the noise?
We know that AC repairs can be stressful and can be an unexpected expense. However, it is best to resolve AC issues right away. Additionally, professional help can lower your energy expenses and keep your cooling system running longer.
Unsure if your air conditioner is having any of these issues? Please fill out the form here for a free, in-home consultation.